Páginas

Sunday, September 22, 2013

They way I like to read

Yesterday, after a nice talk with a friend about the different types of books available I decided to write a little post about the way I like to read them. However, it is important to clarify that this post is not dedicated to describe the most comfortable way to sit in order to read (which, btw, is one of the hardest things to find in this world), this post is rather to describe the sort-of-algorithm that describes the way I like to organize my readings.


The image above is just a snapshot of the little library of my study. There you can tell titles as diverse as Pocker for Dummies, Simon Bolivar, HP48G User Manual, Essay about Blindness, Lonely Planet Middle East, and History of Rock (just to mention some). This image is then powerful enough to expose the fact that there are plenty of types of books available for reading. Therefore I consider that it is important to have clear the personal priorities about own taste and preferences.

Personally, I tend to divide them into 4 categories: (1) Literature (2) Curiosity (3) History (4) Not-for-reading or Reference.

The categories number (1) and (3) are self explanatory. Then let's elaborate on (2) and (4). About (2) Curiosity, I could say that are those books that are explaining interesting science experiments, or fun management theories, or that are in general informative, easy to digest and fun. About (4) Not-for-reading or Reference, are those like travel guide books or technical stuff.

The most refined of all those are without any doubt (1) Literature, and more in my particular case that I like to read classics. Hence I consider it is not convenient to read two literature books in a row, as the perception of one might influence the perception of the second one. I use to put the example the situation of buying colognes: It is not fare to smell two colognes in a row, it is suggested to smell coffee in between.

Something similar is what I do with books, as far as I can, I like to read a book type (2) or (3) between each type (1). Happily I have a Kindle again, where it is very easy to get super interesting Curiosity and History books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be glad to know your opinion about my post, please do not forget to sign it ;)