Páginas

Monday, September 5, 2011

The Old Man and The Sea (and my opinion)


A Classic book, a very classic one. With it Hemingway won the Pulitzer on '53 and then on '54 the Nobel prize in Literature "for his powerful, style-forming mastery of the art of narration". The story itself is simple but could be very symbolic, and as I finished the book just when I was in a train making a huge change in my life I think I'll give more meaning to it.

It's the third Nobel prize that I read, first one was Garcia Marquez (100 years of soltitude) and then it was Jose Saramago (Essay about Blindness), both were either great or left me with a particual taste in my mouth. This one was not like that, I felt it pretty plane but still I was feeling there were something important to say about it, some depth to explore.
I finished it two weeks ago, when I was in the train getting into Grenoble, and since then I tried several times to write about it but I didn't find the way to describe it or to talk about it until now, when through another book and movie I got the spark.
The book is about that thing inside that gives sense to your existence and to your actions, we could call it faith but I'd prefer, in this case, to call it Passion, because the book shows how Passion will sustain you even when things look bleakest, shows how doing something for your Passion is worthy of immense time and effort no matter if at the end you fail.

I don't know whether to recomend it or not, I just would say that if you dig it you'll find a meaning about reaching goals, about a stuggling, about loosing, about fighting yourself, about being defeated and about passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be glad to know your opinion about my post, please do not forget to sign it ;)